Saturday, December 20, 2008

Christmas Memories

Christmas has always had special memories for me. A doll that walked, my 1st 110 camera, or the times when everyone would gather at Hap & Chris'. Happy (Pappy, Hap, or Elvin as he was legally know) was my grandfather & Chris (Christine) my grandmother had their Christmas specialites that we all looked forward to enjoying. For my birthday, I always got a tin of divinity, and every year I would ask how my grandmother made it. I got the same answer that everyone else got when she was asked. "I'm sorry you do not have the BLUE bowl that you need to make it". I never saw a blue bowl. I later figured out that she wanted to keep the recipe a secret and there was not way she was giving in. Until 1998, in my Valentine's card, there was a notecard with the Divinity Recipe. I could not believe it. I had finally gotten the recipe. I have not shared it with anyone until now. To honor her memory, I have decided to post her famous divinty recipe.

Mama Chris' Divinity
1 jar marshmallow cream
1/2 cup water
2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup pecans (optional)

Boil the sugar and water to the soft ball stage. Remove from heat and stir in marshmallow cream and vanilla. Add pecans, if desired. Let cool 5-10 minutes. Drop from spoon onto wax paper to cool. If the pieces run and are smooth, let cool for a couple more minutes before dropping any more onto paper. The pieces should be fluffy when dropped, not runny. Let cool 30 minutes and enjoy!


Happy had a recipe he was more than eager to share. He made eggnog and not just any eggnog. This eggnog needed a valid id to consume. The kids were allowed 1 small glass at their house and then some would be sent home for the adults to enjoy the next day. Only there was usually none left when the adults woke the next morning. One year, I think he count of the jiggers he had used. It was so bad, no one could drink more than a sip.

These are memories I will cherish. I have tried to make the eggnog once and no one like it. I guess Happy had the special touch.

Happy's Eggnog

2 quart Braum's Eggnog (it had to be Braums, others would not do)
4 jiggers Ancient Age bourbon whiskey
nutmeg and cinnamon to taste

Mix eggnog & whiskey in large bowl, add nutmeg & cinnnamon and freeze until slushy.

No comments: